Aoyama wins Mishima

Aaron Gerow gerow at ynu.ac.jp
Thu May 17 20:48:47 EDT 2001

The publishing house Shincho announced that Aoyama Shinji has been
awarded the 14th Mishima Yukio Award for Literature for the novelization
of his film Eureka.  The prize was also awarded to Nakahara Masaya for
his "Arayuru basho ni hanataba ga..."  The jury included Tsutsui
Yasutaka, Fukuda Kazuya and Shimada Masahiko.

The URL for the prize home page (Japanese) is:
http://webshincho.com/mishimasho/

Though they haven't posted the results yet.

I can't think of another case of a novelization of a film winning a
literary prize in Japan.  Can anyone?

When Aoyama told me about a month ago that he was nominated, he was
distinctly puzzled by the whole thing.  Clearly, in his mind, the film
matters and the book, while an interesting excercise, was something very
different.  Later on, he joked that he was just trying to emulate
Nakagami Kenji.  We'll see what his public reaction to the prize is.

Aaron Gerow
Yokohama National University
KineJapan list owner
For list commands: send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html