Kyoshi Kurosawa's KAIRO review

Aaron Gerow gerow at ynu.ac.jp
Sun May 27 21:29:37 EDT 2001

I'm afraid I was less thrilled by the film than others.  Intellectually,
it is quite fascinating, and I featured it a lot in my essay on Japanese
horror and repetition for the Pesaro Festival coming up, but for various
reasons it doesn't have the visceral impact.  Part of the problem is the
talento actors and the excessive music, but I also wondered whether
Kurosawa, who is clearly citing his own Barren Illusion here more than
Ring, was not quite sure how to insert the Barren Illusion world into the
horror genre.  Filmmaker colleagues were also critical of the film.

Here's my review from the Daily Yomiuri.

*******
'Kairo' stumbles in its own vicious cycle

By Aaron Gerow Special to The Daily Yomiuri

KAIRO
Dir: Kiyoshi Kurosawa
Cast: Haruhiko Kato, Kumiko Aso, Koyuki

              One can be shocked at the number of Japanese horror films
lurking on the silver screen. Ever since the phenomenal success of Ring,
which reportedly will be remade in Hollywood, it is as if a new
psycho-suspense flick is coming out every weekend.

              Is this just because they are cheap and reliably
successful? Or is the horror boom a reflection of deeper shifts in our
society? Does the fact people want to be scared today say something about
our world?

              One can argue that the best of recent horror films, such as
Kiyoshi Kurosawa's masterpiece Cure (1997), pointedly address our times.

              That tale of an amnesiac mesmerist who made his victims
commit murder said much about the constitution of the self and the burden
of memory in our increasingly atomistic world.

              Kurosawa's new film, Kairo, also appears consciously
directed at contemporary life. Yet the degree to which it analyzes this
existence also seems to be the degree to which it loses its impact as a
horror film.

              The premise is quite up-to-date. As Ring uses video, Kairo
(which means "circuit" in Japanese) uses the contemporary technology of
the Internet to introduce its monsters.

              Ryosuke (Haruhiko Kato), a college student, and other
Internet users have found their computers suddenly connecting to a Web
site that invites them to access the dead. Those who get too curious end
up sealing off a nearby room with red tape, inside of which they meet
Death itself. It seems the world of the dead has finally found a portal
to connect with the living, and that window is called the Internet.

              What is eerie about this is that the dead don't attack from
without and in a conclusive matter. Like the Web site itself, which
merely begins by posing questions, the monsters here are unlike Ring's
Sadako, randomly wreaking revenge on anyone, and luring, rather than
attacking. In the end, it is the victims themselves who, perhaps out of
some death wish, end up committing suicide.

              Even a friend of Ryosuke's like Harue (Koyuki), who is
trying to investigate the phenomenon, finds herself enticed by death
despite Ryusuke's pronouncements on the value of living. Thus while the
victims often take their own lives, it is as if they had already been
dead long before, living in a state of limbo until they simply fade away.

              The invasion of the dead is then less a full-scale assault
than a gradual seepage from the vessel of life. Before one knows it, the
world of the film is, with little fanfare, being depopulated, leaving
Michi (Kumiko Aso), Ryosuke's last partner, as one of the last survivors,
struggling to escape, but with no place to go.

              What renders this film contemporary is not simply the
Internet, but also the increasing awareness by those like Harue studying
the problem, that maybe death is no different from life, but simply an
endless repetition (another sense of "circuit") of this existence.

              In this sense, Kurosawa's film is attuned to sociological
work like that of Shinji Miyadai, who says contemporary Japanese youth
feel their lives are merely "owari naki nichijo" (literally, everyday is
the same), burdened with the ominous prospect that the dullness and
unfulfillment of today's Japan will continue forever. Maybe we can say
the willing victims in Kairo are then merely acknowledging that they've
been dead from the point they began living.

              The connection is intellectually fascinating, but in the
end, Kairo doesn't quite work as a horror film. If it is an allegory
about contemporary existence, it has more in common with Kurosawa's
Barren Illusion than Cure.

              The former film not only shares Kairo's depiction of an
undramatic apocalypse, it evokes the barrenness of existence with
characters who also fade out--though not necessarily in death.

              Barren Illusion, however, is not a horror film and Kairo,
while conceptually rich, does not have the viscerality of Cure or even of
Kurosawa's more abstract tale of Armageddon, Charisma. Coupled with
generally poor performances by such "tarento" actors as Kato, the movie
does not have the impact to take its message home.

Aaron Gerow
Associate Professor
International Student Center
Yokohama National University