Imamura's Warm Water Under a Red Bridge

Arnold M ma_iku at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 8 01:44:45 EST 2001

Many thanks to Aaron Gerow for posting his review of Imamura's film here.

I suppose part of my dissatisfaction has to do with the seemingly immediate
assumption that a story about a woman with a "strange" sexual condition
simply must be the product of a sexist male fantasy, especially when it's
so difficult to take the story seriously.  (I and the other few viewers
were laughing a little during the film... maybe it was just a nervous
laugh.)  I largely agree with Aaron's comments though, especially the point
that ultimately the woman was very "shallow".  She didn't command much
attention (except from her partner).  Maybe it was just my imagination
getting away with me, but the factory and industrial-polluted rivers
subplot, along with flashbacks of Saeko's crazed, phallus-worshipping
mother, seemed to be trying to reveal this woman's legendary ability itself
as a male construction, making a joke of the hero's dreams of returning to
the amniotic fluids.  Conscious or not, through exaggeration the idea of
women's super-natural life 'energy' almost became a parody of itself.
Unfortunately, the only womb Sasano returns to at the end is one of cold
concrete, accepting Saeko as a male fantasy or whatever she is.

I think it was definitely a movie aimed at (heterosexual) men.  But still,
I have to wonder how many of Imamura's other films succeeded in being
relevent to "women" or their other intended (?) subjects.  Anyway, my
friend gave me two tickets, so I should go see it again before I dig myself
into an even deeper hole.  (Sorry, no pun intended.)

Does anyone know anything about the story's author?

For "worst movie" would that count Japanese films from 2001 only, or
Japanese films we saw in 2001?  Otogiriso would probably be my worst from
2001, Freeze Me my worst watched in 2001.  Miyazaki's new movie might take
the "most disappointing" award.

Michael Arnold