OZU (and Mizoguchi)?

Michael Kerpan kerpan
Thu Nov 8 22:13:44 EST 2001

On Friday 09 November 2001 01:09, Richard Stevens
<richard.stevens4 at btopenworld.com> wrote:

> Tell, Is there anyone here who is an avid fan of Yashijiro Ozu, There don't
> seem to many DVD's of his out yet, apart from Good Moring on Crriterion in
> the US.  Is there anyone to lobby or approach on trying to get his title
> releases at all?

There is a Yahoo Group devoted specifically to Ozu:

(Not that Ozu _can't_ be discussed here).

As I reported a couple of weeks back, Tokyo Story and Autumn Afternoon have
been released as French-subtitled Region 2 DVDs.  It's remotely possible
(though not probable) that these DVDs will also have English subtitles.  My
shipment seems to have sunk in the Atlantic, but I will report further
details when (or if) I ever actually see these DVDs.

Also, the same French company (Fravidis) has released a DVD of Mizoguchi's
Ugetsu.

No one has heard anything about any other American (or ANY British) releases.
Similarly, no word of Japanese releases by Shochiku.  I did see mention of
possible DVD releases by Matsuda of the Ozu (and other, including Mizoguchi)
releases they currently have available on video (with benshi accompaniment)
-- but no dates were mentioned.

Michael Kerpan
Boston, MA