Sma Station

Sarah Frederick sfred at bu.edu
Wed Oct 17 08:17:49 EDT 2001

Back on the "news for youth" topic that we started with, is the show "Kodomo no news" still on NHK?  This was more aimed at children than at SMAP fans, but it was quite good at explaining complex current events.  I would never have understood the real estate lending crisis in the mid-1990s without it. Of course, it had the NHK perspective, but somehow because of the audience it had neither the condescending tone and pseudo-neutrality of regular NHK news nor the sensationalism of of the commercial networks. If it's still on I recommend it.

--
Sarah Frederick, Assistant Professor of Japanese
Boston University