horrifying act in NYC

Lori Hitchcock lohitchc
Wed Sep 12 11:49:25 EDT 2001

This will be my last word on this, because I'd also like to see the list
return to what it's meant for once we've all had time to reflect on what
this means to us; however, since the author of this message seems to be
speaking to me, I'll just note that I'm aware of the essentially political
uses of the term 'dominant culture' and I'm in substantial agreement with
this assessment; however (and I may have been reading wrong - if so I
apologize), I've also seen it used in this discussion in what seems to be
in reference to 'dominant cultural representations' of what has happened,
which, in my own admittedly knee-jerk fashion I've taken to refer to US
entertainment/news culture, and how it has been representing these events.
It is this use (perhaps my own lens is reading it this way) that I find
problematic and hasty - not necessarily wrong, but an over-generalization
 - and which I was arguing against.

Mea culpa, if I misread the intent of any of the previous emails.

Best, Lori