English translations of silents

Michael E Kerpan Jr kerpan
Sat Apr 6 19:03:48 EST 2002

David Hopkins wrote:

> Members may recall a request last year for help translating into
> English several silent Japanese movies. I don't know how many people
> have participated, but I've done several of these myself, and it seems
> to me that there must be some way to make these accessible to
> scholars. Any journals that carry this sort of thing? I doubt that a
> separate publication would be worth the trouble....Your ideas?

Fans of the animated films of Miyazaki and Takahata created a site
called Nausicaa Net. Among other things, the site contains translations
of all the films released by Ghibli Studios. (All the translations
specify that they are not for commercial use and are provided solely in
order to allow purchasers of unsubtitled videos can better understand
the films). Perhaps, Kine Japan could include translations as one of the
resources made avaialble on its site. (Or someone with lots of spare web
space could set up a new site).