Seeking A Movie With An Unknown Title

david mankins dm
Tue Apr 16 09:35:13 EDT 2002

   Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:37:15 -0400
   From: Voorhees.Scott at epamail.epa.gov

   I'm wondering if anyone happens to know the title and director of a
   Japanese film about which I have embarrassingly little information. It's
   the story of Japanese soldiers (World War II?) in northern Japan (Aomori
   Prefecture, I believe) on some sort of training mission, forced to march
   through heavy snows. Ultimately most of the group succumbs to the
   bitterly cold conditions. It MIGHT star Mifune. The film is at least 10
   years old. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

There is also a section of _Kurosawa's Dreams_ that fits this
description, though I don't think it involved Mifune.