DVD Players and regions

Voorhees.Scott@epamail.epa.gov Voorhees.Scott
Wed Apr 17 11:15:15 EDT 2002

The way I read the information on the DVDCity website, a Code Free DVD
player should successfully play disks made in Japan, and North American
disks pressed prior to the implementation of this new REA system, but
not North American disks that incorporate REA from here on out. Should
Japan choose to use REA also, that'd really muck things up. I agree,
this is worse than the Betamax-vs-VHS format wars, especially since it's
a conscious effort by the movie industry to limit consumer access.

Scott Voorhees

                      Peter Grilli
                      <grilli at us-japan.org>                To:       KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
                      Sent by:                             cc:
                      owner-KineJapan at lists.acs.ohi        Subject:  RE: DVD Players and regions
                      o-state.edu

                      04/17/02 02:04 PM
                      Please respond to KineJapan

Thanks, Scott, for the warning.
So.... what is the bottom line?
Does your warning mean that a "Code Free" DVD player will NOT be able to
play
discs made in Japan and North American discs?
Will it be necessary to buy two DVD players if I need to watch DVDs made
in
Japan and also DVDs made in the US?

This situation is getting even more confusing than the ancient
Beta-vs-VHS
battles of twenty years ago!

Peter