query

David Blair blair at telepathic-movie.org
Mon Aug 12 11:55:36 EDT 2002

hi,

A query...

A couple years ago I had the chance to see the German version/cut of the
Arnold Fanck/Mansaku Itami 1937 co-production, set in Japan and Manchuria,
and featuring a very young Setsuko Hara. That version, which is pretty
strange, has the title "Daughter of the Samurai" [I guess].
Anderson/Ritchie talk about it as "The New Earth", which I assume is the
title of the [apparently] very different Japanese version/cut. Now, I know
that at least there is a copy of "The New Earth" in the National Film
Theatre in Tokyo which they wouldn't let me see for reasons I didn't
understand well at the time.  Does anyone know if there has been any VHS or
otherwise release of it, or, less properly and off list of course, if there
are any terribly illegal bootlegs of this popular title floating around?

thank you for reading this somewhat nontopical request.

David

work available online

http://www.waxweb.org
Waxweb
("Wax or the Discovery of Television Among the Bees")
English/French/Japanese/[Spanish]
--artist CD available--

upcoming:
http://www.telepathic-movie.org
The Telepathic Motion Picture of "THE LOST TRIBES"