query

Arnold M ma_iku at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 13 15:14:00 EDT 2002

David Blair <blair at telepathic-movie.org> wrote:

>A couple years ago I had the chance to see the German version/cut of the
Arnold Fanck/Mansaku Itami 1937 co-production... "Daughter of the Samurai"

I saw this in Japan about two months ago.  I couldn’t find it easily on
video so I borrowed a copy from a friend, and I believe he recorded it from
a (NHK?) satellite broadcast, but I don’t know when.  The copy I watched
was about 106 minutes long.  The print had a title screen in German, Die
Tochter Des Samurai, like you say, and there were superimposed Japanese
subtitles on the German dialogue (not on the original print).  There was
quite a bit of German language narration in the story as well (with
Japanese subtitles).  I came close to... acquiring a copy of the video
myself because I wasn’t certain I’d be able to find it elsewhere, but I
ran out of time.  If there's a different version of the film I'd love to
see that too.

Amazon.co.jp lists a DVD for the film but I don’t recall seeing it in
stores.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005HPZX/ref=sr_aps_d_/249-7910558-1797123

Michael Arnold