Taisho film

Aaron Gerow gerow at ynu.ac.jp
Thu Aug 22 20:46:32 EDT 2002

>Magazines often encourage "amateur" contributions for a number of
>reasons, but I was slightly surprised to see such an example
>involving film given the expense of the medium. Are there other
>examples?  In this case, the magazine ran a four page narration of
>the story with stills along with a "the making of" type article.

With the rise of the pure film movement in the late 1910s, which itself
was strongly focused on scriptwriting, most of the film-related magazines
at the time ran script contests. Only a few of those were ever made into
a film, but given the poverty level of production at the time (for
instance, in the mid 1920s, Naoki Sanjugo became the champion of cheap
independent production), doing a film based on a winning script was not
"risking" that much. In fact, given the popularity of film journalism
among some fans, perhaps it may have added a bit of publicity (the
magazine was sure to publicize the resulting film). Keep in mind that
this attests both to the lack of a clear division of labor in the
industry and the lack of "professional" standards for some jobs in that
division of labor (in a sense, anyone could possibly write a script in
the early days). Some of the early scriptwriters in fact came from film
journalism, like Noda Kogo and Takada Tamotsu.

>Not being entirely familiar with the film industry, I wondered if
>"treatment" would be an apt translation of "eiga monogatari" or not.

Note also that the publication of scripts was itself a central part of
film journalism at the time. Even before scriptwriting became
established, film magazines were mostly filled with plot summaries or
film novelizations. Some of these were called "eiga monogatari", a term
more from film journalism than from the industry. I have a piece on these
issues in Cavanaugh and Washburn's Word and Image in Japanese Cinema, and
Yamamoto Naoki just wrote an interesting essay on these "eiga monogatari"
for the Meiji Gakuin Art Studies Bulletin.

Aaron Gerow
Associate Professor
International Student Center
Yokohama National University