teaching taiyozoku / subtitling consortium?

Mark H Nornes amnornes
Fri Feb 1 09:33:39 EST 2002

I think we can safely say the subtitling consortium is on, now that you
ask!

Michael has been subtitling a number of films with some graduate students
at Yale. I am doing th same thing with undergraduates here at Michigan.
There are some other efforts, as you've heard on KineJapan in the past.

We were going to wait a bit more to bring this to the attention of Kinema
Clubbers, and the reason was basically that we are using two very
different methods to do the subbing. One is PC; theother is Mac-based. One
does not touch the original commercial media to end-run copyright issues;
the other is probably illegal in the strictest sense.

So we are planning to write up descriptions of what we're doing and then
start a discussion to pull interested parties in.

Michael, I guess we have to get this started now!  At the very least,
anyone at Yale that's interested in this should sit down to talk this
month.

Markus