subtitles

James Barringer barringerjames
Tue Feb 12 18:00:11 EST 2002

If DVDs are available in your area, that would be a
great way to go.  English subtitles are always an
option.  In the US, you can get a DVD player for under
US$90, in Japan as well - in fact I just installed a
great DVD ROM on my PC, and it cost @US$50

I'm not sure how your Japanese reading is (and I'm not
sure if Japanese subtitles are available on DVDs
outside of Japan) - but if it's at an intermediate
level, you might want to turn on the Japanese
subtitles instead of English.  I have found my reading
comprehension is stronger and faster than my listening
comprehension.  That way you get all the content in
the original language.  Particularly with jidai-geki
(samurai & historical films) and other films where
there a lot of grunting and mumbling (i.e. where there
are disgruntled teenagers, gangster-types etc.) this
can be a big help.  Even on regular TV here in Japan,
they have taken to the practice of writing out the
gyst of what people are saying on the screen.  It
helps a lot.

Regards,
Jim Barringer
--- =%ISO-8859-2?Q?Kajo_Grui=E6?= <kajo.gruic at pbz.hr>