request/Tokyo films

sdeboer sdeboer
Fri Feb 22 11:55:06 EST 2002

Greetings everyone.  I haven't seen anyone make this kind of appeal to
the list in a while, so I was at first a little reluctant to make it.
Still, though, I'm feeling the need for some collective input from the
knowledgeable minds on this list for an (as yet quite vague) project I am
considering, so I hope that everyone will bear with me.

I'm considering a project that might include a section on the ways in
which films construct Tokyo as a space in which memories/nostalgias (or
the obvious lack of them) are (or are markedly not) engaged through
its exploration.  Obviously, this has the potential to be a huge, unwieldy
topic, and could include anything from Kurosawa's *Stray Dog/Nora inu*
to Iwai's *Swallowtail* or Harada's *Bounce koGals*.  Actually, though,
for the moment, I'm interested in films of the 1990s, but because I
feel that it is also important to understand such films in comparison to
those of other time periods and contexts, I welcome suggestions on
any favorite films (as well as television examples) of any context that
anyone on the list might find relevant.  [NB: I am here mainly concerned
with narrative examples, though, again, any suggestions are welcome.]

Many thanks to the list for taking the time to consider this.

Yours,
Stephanie DeBoer