More Miramax and Miyazaki

A.M. Nornes amnornes
Mon Feb 25 22:15:13 EST 2002

This is from another list, and I thought it would be of great interest to
KineJapan:

===============================

Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002
From: David Bordwell
Subject: Disney and Miyazaki again

I can't divulge the source, but someone working in LA told me that Disney
has bought a large number of international rights for Miyazaki's SPIRITED
AWAY (SEN TO CHIHIRO NO KAMIKAKUSHI)--including the Japanese video rights!
Disney will release the film in many territories, and in the US holds all
video, cable, DVD, and theatrical rights. And, you guessed it, on all these
North American platforms my source says the movie will be dubbed.

   It's a lovely movie, more interesting to me than PRINCESS MONONOKE, but
quite scary in parts. Also very Japanese in its references to folk
traditions, rural gods, etc. These factors make me fear that Disney will
take the scissors to it, even thought they supposedly had a deal with
Ghibli that none of their releases would be recut.

Can anybody confirm or deny this rumor?

best regards,

David