New York Times and Sen to Chihiro / Go

mark schilling 0934611501 at jcom.home.ne.jp
Tue Jan 8 10:12:33 EST 2002

Michael Arnold says he "kept seeing shadows of Alice in Wonderland and the
Wizard of Oz" in "Spirited Away." I did too, particularly the "Alice" books,
but when I mentioned this to Suzuki Toshio of Studio Ghibli -- the film's
producer -- he said Miyazaki's strongest influence had been "The Tombs of
Atuan," the second book in Ursula K. Le Guin's "Earthsea" series. I haven't
read the book, but its back cover blurb says that the heroine, Tenar, "was
stripped of her name and family while still a child and dedicated as high
priestess to the Nameless Ones, dark powers of the Tombs of Atuan." It also
mentions a young wizard, Ged, who "stayed to set Tenar free and lead her out
of the darkness." Sound familiar?

Suzuki added that Miyazaki was a bigger fan of European fantasy lit than
Japanese folk tales and that the "Japaneseness" of the film was much more a
matter of style than story.

Michael also comments that "Haku was supposed to be a dragon." Most
certainly, but he was not the film's "bad guy," which is what the
one-sentence plot summary in Brooke's NYT article implies. Re-reading it, I
realize that what bothered me was less any specific "error" than the
imprecision of the language. Why the plurals for "dragon" and "sorceress,"
when Sen "fended off" one of each? Who put the "curse" on the parents? No
one that I could see. Thus the impression that Mr. Brooke didn't see the
film in question, but instead cribbed from a Japanese-language press
release.

Michael asks about pre-release publicity for "Go." When I did a story on the
making of the film for Screen International the Toei publicist told me they
had tried to pitched it mainly as an "action film" for young males, but
Kubozuka was swamped with interview requests from women's magazines. So
perhaps the guys Michael overheard at the theater hadn't seen much about the
film in the media because they weren't readers of Josei Jishin and Nonno.

Mark Schilling
schill at gol.com