New York Times and Sen to Chihiro

Mark Anderson ander025 at umn.edu
Tue Jan 8 14:24:47 EST 2002

To me, the whole situation is one more installment in a long line
demonstrating the New York Times resolutely provincial relation to Japan on
every imaginable level, but particularly with regard to editorial policy on
what passes for cultural commentary. Last year's NY Times magazine had a
"what I did on my subsidized vacation" story trying to pass itself off as
insight into contemporary Japanese culture. Conversations with acquaintances
at a bar were presented as native informants shedding light on globalized
Asian mystery. This kind of thing couldn't go on for five minutes without
deep editorial complicity and ignorance and would be unimaginable regarding
most other countries. Does anyone have the time or energy to take the
editorial staff of the Times to task for its repeatedly demonstrated
unprofessionalism and clear negligence of basic journalistic responsibility
regarding Japan? That's what I'd like to see. This issue goes way beyond the
uninformed, amateurish pretense of being qualified to review an animated
film. It may also be a question of personal and professional failure, but
it's more fundamentally a question of the Times' pervasive, militantly
provincial editorial culture as it relates to Japan.

Mark Anderson