Zipangu & doc film

anne mcknight akmck at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 8 23:33:28 EST 2002

I think there’s a film connection here, too, if
memory serves correctly.  I think one of the
Zipangu collective (who seem to enunciate solely
under that name, without individual
spokesperson), is the doc. film-maker Kurihara
Nanako.  She made a 1993 doc. on second-wave-
ish Japanese feminism called Ripples of
Change, also during the Japan-bashing years,
distributed by Women Make Movies.  It too relies
on the US-Japan dialectic for illustrating the
author’s self-discovery, enabled by leaving Japan
in favor of New York, but is more a ‘personal is
political’ kind of film essay.  Certainly more
palatable than the insufferable first-person
testimonials of Kristof being disappointed with the
lived experience of 90s Japan!  Although I have to
say that this disenchantment with the postwar’s
most favored nation is playing out interestingly in
media coverage of other geo-politics, most
notably the NYX coverage of the middle east, its
least-favored territory.

Anne

on 1/8/02 10:55 PM, Roddey Reid at