KineJun Best Ten 2001

Aaron Gerow gerow at ynu.ac.jp
Thu Jan 10 21:23:26 EST 2002

The Kinema Junpo Best Ten for 2001, selected by several dozen film
critics for the magazine Kinema Junpo, was announced.  The results are as
follows:

1. Go
2. Hush!
3. Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi
4. Eureka
5. Kazahana
6. Mabudachi
7. Lili Chouchou no subete
8. Water Boys
9. Hikari no ame
10. Akai hashi no shita no nurui mizu

Inidividual awards were as follows:

Best director: Yukisada Isao (Go)
Best screenplay: Miyafuji Kankuro (Go)
Best actress: Kataoka Reiko (Hush!)
Best actor: Kubozuka Yosuke (Go)
Best supporting actress: Shibasaki Ko (Go)
Best supporting actor: Yamazaki Tsutomu (Go)
Best new actor: Kubozuka Yosuke (Go)

People were asking about the criticial reception of Go--well, here's one
indicator.  I personally have big problems with the film's politics, but
have to admit it's a great youth movie.  Hush! was a surprise because it
hasn't even opened in Tokyo yet (it ran for a bit in Nagasaki in
November, but that didn't count for the Eiga geijutsu poll). One can
suspect that Kazahana, Hikari no ame, and Akai hashi got support from the
older critics, but we have to wait for the Best Ten issue of KineJun to
find out. Overall, a mixed set of results, but that's to be expected with
KineJun.  Any comments?

Aaron Gerow
Yokohama National University
KineJapan list owner
For list commands: send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html