Japan-made DVD quality

Ted Mills mills at rain.org
Mon Jan 28 01:00:47 EST 2002

Hi there,

Could anyone comment on the quality of DVDs coming from Japan? Because of
their price, I'm used to dealing with Hong Kong DVDs more, and a dispiriting
amount seem to use video masters as their source (the HK DVD of In the Mood
for Love being one recent awful example). Seeings we're talking about many
of these classics coming out soon (the Ichikawa and Teshigahara sets for
example), I'd be curious as to how close the Japanese companies get to
matching the U.S.'s--generally--high standards. That is, all except for
FoxLorber who should be shut down entirely.

Comments?