New DVD -- Masumura's Kyojin to gangu

Michael E Kerpan Jr kerpan at attglobal.net
Wed Jan 30 21:40:35 EST 2002

Amazon claims that Yasuzo Masumura's "Kyojin to gangu" ("Giants and
Toys) (1958) will be released on DVD (Region 1) by Image Entertainment
on  February 12.  The film is described as follows:

***begin***

When three rival candy companies go to war for market supremacy, World
Caramels enlists a lower-class girl with appallingly bad teeth to be
their new spokesmodel. In a world of industrial spies, hostile takeovers
and boardroom hysterics, the animal instincts of this overnight star
prove to be the most cutthroat of all. This razor-sharp, fast-paced
attack on post-war corporate society and TV culture plays like a
Japanese combination of "Dr. Strangelove" and "Will Success Spoil Rock
Hunter?" More valid today than the day it was made, New Wave master
Yasuzo Masumura's DaieiScope explosion of color, sound and acid wit
ranks with the best satires of Billy Wilder and Frank Tashlin.

I must say I've never heard of either the film or the director.  Is this
actually more signifcant than all the Ozu, Mizoguchi, Naruse  (et al)
classics that are NOT coming out on DVD?

Michael Kerpan