Koroshiya Ichi/Ichi The Killer

Mark Nornes amnornes
Fri Jan 25 10:45:21 EST 2002

On Friday, January 25, 2002, at 03:31  PM, Tom Mes wrote:

>> What is most interesting to me is the way that Miike and other
>> directors working in violent body genres are woven into
>> constructions of  "Japanese Cinema Now." I am wondering what this says
>> >about WHO is constructing our collective image of Japanese Cinema
>> Now, >and whether this is a different crowd than before, and why has
>> it changed.
>
> Good point, but it refers to much more than just the violent, physical
> cinema of directors like Miike and for instance Toshiaki Toyoda that
> are screened overseas. I think the films of Hirokazu Kore-eda, Shinji
> Aoyama, Naomi Kawase and much of Suncent's output have offered foreign
> audiences an equally skewed image of Japanese cinema, given their
> equally dominating presences at festivals the past few years.

This is what is interesting. There are two styles vying for the spot at
the top, and so so different! However, as in every moment of film
history (at least since the era of the international film festival trade
route was pioneered) either choice---or a combination of the two---is a
vast simplification that allows us to get a grip on the heterogeneity of
what's happening at ground level.

markus