a clarification

Chuck Stephens cougar71 at well.com
Mon Jul 29 01:47:05 EDT 2002

Mark Anderson writes:

>>Dear Chuck,
Surely you would grant that a discussion of Japanese film might reasonably
include a discussion of its Japanese title. That is not invention--it's a
title, selected by the director, in his native language. It is precisely a
question of taking Shinozaki seriously. Where is the know-it-all ism in
discussing the possible connotations of the Japanese title of a Japanese
film? You are effectively trying to enforce your institutional perspective
on the rest of us. I thank you to refrain from that in the future.<<

Mark, I never expressed any problem with the discussion of a Japanese
title of a Japanese film. Indeed, I went so far as to call Joseph
Murphy's association of the film's Japanese title with the title of
"Kunikida Doppo's well-known collection of sketches from the Meiji
period, "Wasureenu Hitobito"", fascinating. And I meant it -- even as
I admit that I had to go and look up exactly who Kunikida was. Is his
writing available in translation, do you know?

My objection to what Murphy originally wrote was that he included the
Japanese title of the film, and his own personal and very clever
associative translation for it -- *Unforgettable People* -- but
neglected to mention the English-language title the film already
possesses, one approved by its director: *Not Forgotten*. I asked
only that this, the "actual", "release",
not-chosen-by-a-publicist/critic/academic, English-language title, be
mentioned, if not factored in.

(I also objected to what I perceived as a certain oneupsmanship in
Murphy's first retort to me, but I'm now sure I over-reacted.)

For the record, I heartily endorse and look forward to the discussion
of Japanese titles of Japanese films, as well as various titles in
various languages for films of various origins, including Saturnian
and/or in Ye Olde Esperanto.

As an individual, I don't believe I have an "institutional
perspective" on anything, and certainly not the one you're attempting
to pin on me here. Heck, you can't even qoute me properly: it was
"know-better-ism", not "know-it-all-ism" -- a crucial distinction. I
thank you to refrain from that in the future.