Looking for Japanese film showing futuristic visions of modern architecture

Tim Cooke armymoose
Fri Jul 12 16:29:16 EDT 2002

>From: "David Phillips" <phillidp at wfu.edu>
>To: <KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu>
>Subject: Looking for Japanese film showing futuristic visions of modern
>architecture
>Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 17:04:01 -0400
>
>Dear KineJapan members,
>One of my graduate students is looking for a film he can use in a
>comparative project on films from different cultures that incorporate some
>sort of futuristic vision and show images of what life may be like in the
>future.   The films don't have to be contemporary.  The student is an
>architect, and is interested in the relationship between architecture and
>film-specifically how filmmakers envision the design and portrayal of
>cities
>in the future.  Any ideas on what films might fit the bill would be
>welcome!
>David Phillips

Hello, I'm quite new to the list and probably have a meagre amount of
knowledge compared to other Japanophiles on the list but couldn't help but
answer your request and humbly suggest a couple of obvious examples since
one of my own area of interest concerns the Japanese fantastic and dystopia
in contemporary Japanese cinema so (regarding dystopias) Tetsuo: The Iron
Man, Tetsuo 2: Body Hammer (Tsukamoto) and the brilliant if controversial
Battle Royale (Fukusaka) could be of use. And a near-limitless amount of
anime; Akira, Ghost in the Shell et al too... Hope that was of some use. Tim
(Moose)