fresh blood and Venice line-up

Tom Mes china_crisis
Tue Jul 30 20:10:23 EDT 2002

>And, apparently Makoto Shinozaki is making a film of Kitano's "Asakusa
> >Kid".

It's already finished and was shown on the Sky PerfecTV channel in May, I
believe. I haven't seen anyone reporting on it here. Has anyone managed to
catch it and if so what did they think?

Speaking of Kitano, the Venice film festival line-up was announced today.
Kitano's DOLLS is in competition, as the only Japanese representative.
There is a side-line competition dubbed 'Controcorrente' (Counter current?),
for which Shinya Tsukamoto's latest A SNAKE OF JUNE / ROKUGATSU NO HEBI has
been selected.

Out of competition are two generations of Imamuras: Shohei Imamura's
contribution to the short film compilation about September 11, and Daisuke
Tengan's AIKI.

In the critics' week selection finally, we find Hidenori Sugimori's WOMAN OF
WATER / MIZU NO ONNA.

In all, an improvement over last year's three Japanese entries.

The complete selection can be found here:
http://194.185.28.38/it/cinema/59mostra/scheda_press.cfm?ID=1539

Tom

Midnight Eye
http://www.midnighteye.com