American movies in Japan

mark schilling 0934611501
Thu Jun 6 03:32:20 EDT 2002

A few notes on the subtitling question:

1) Not all foreign films on Japanese TV are dubbed; NHK broadcasts of
"classic" films, usually European, being the prominent exception.

2) Blockbuster Hollywood films are often released here on video in both
dubbed and subbed versions. I once asked a distributor why they bothered
since most video shops, in Tokyo at least, stocked only one dubbed
videocassette of a given title for every nine subbed ones. He told me that
the demand for the dubbed videos was higher in the provinces, thus dubbing
made economic sense.

3) The straight-to-video gangster titles that Toei Video made in the States
in the early nineties ("No Way Back," "Distant Justice") are released here
in dubbed versions, for an almost exclusively male audience.

As these examples indicate, the audiences for the dubbed films, both on
television and video, is perceived by the industry as being (1) more
provincial than urban, (2) more male than female and (3) more the masses
than the classes. In other words, a construction worker in Niigata will opt
for a dubbed Clint Eastwood flick on a commercial network over a Jean Renoir
film in the original French on NHK.

The real question is -- why not more dubbing? There are various reasons,
including the tendency of industry practices here to settle into stone, but
if enough Niigata construction workers and similar folk would trek to the
theaters to see Al Pacino and Brad Pitt emoting in Japanese, distributors
would accommodate them. But they prefer to watch movies of whatever origin
on the tube -- and have for decades.

Michael wrote: "Yomota Inuhiko told me that 'everyone liked Hollywood films
in the 1950s" but statistics show that the clear majority of admissions were
to Japanese films. Perhaps that "everyone" has a class specification
attached to it."  I believe Inuhiko's "everyone" refers more to the urban,
educated classes than the provincial, working-class masses. Also, "the
majority of admissions were to Japanese films" because the quota system for
foreign (mainly Hollywood) films in place then helped ensure the dominance
of the local industry.

Mark Schilling
schill at gol.com