self introduction and more..

Tim Cooke armymoose
Sun Jun 30 10:43:09 EDT 2002

Hello all. I'm Tim (but will also answer to my pseudonym 'Moose') and I hail
from Dublin, Ireland.

Ok, right now I am slaving away at a MA dissertation on contemporary
Japanese cinema, with 1989 as my somewhat arbitrary cut-off point. Obviously
this is still a huge area so I'm only tracing themes pertaining to violence
and apocalypse, using a limited number of case-studies. The fact that I'm
dedicating 1 of my 3 chapters entierly to four films by Takeshi Kitano
should imply something... Aesthetics and the state of the industry are also
part of my interests as well as American films that take Japanese subject
matter as part of their narrative (e.g. Rising Sun or Ridley Scott's Black
Rain), which opens up that other can of worms relating to national identity
construction etc. Animes and extreme/horror films is another area (Legend of
the Overfiend, Battle Royale, Audition) and these examples will make up the
body of another chapter; i.e. filmic parables and the dark side of the
Japanese sense of 'the fantastic'. I'm trying to look at a range of
filmmakers like (late) Kurosawa, Seijun Suzuki, Kinji Fukusaka, Takeshi
Ishiima and Otomo Katsuhiro. If anyone has pointers for articles on the
current representations of violence and apocalypse in new Japanese cinema
then I'd love to ear about them or films to see, individual ideas or
whatever else comes to mind. Don't be shy, I'm keen to read any email and
get all the help I can. I may be a film student and may love Japanese cinema
but I would never for a second assume I knew all that much. Ok cheers for
hearing me out,

Moose.