Japan Ratings System and other stuff

Rayna Denison arxrld at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Mar 22 05:25:15 EST 2002

Three things really. I would still like to hear everybody's thoughts on
the (lack of a) ratings system/ censorship in the Japanese film
industry.

Secondly, I was thinking of doing some work on the blockbuster in
Japan. About what kinds of films could be considered as Japanese
blockbusters, and about how blockbusters are distributed/exhibited in
Japan. I have been given a modest sum of money to go out to Tokyo this
summer to do some research and was wondering if anyone on the list could
recommend good places to look for this sort of thing.

Third, I was wondering if any of you know if/ where people in Japan go
to get second hand or cheap versions of DVDs and videos? Being a poor
postgrad means that I can't afford many of the expensive full price DVDs
that I've seen advertised before. There are loads of films that I am
desperate to get hold of though, so any thoughts on the subject would be
deeply appreciated!

Many thanks

Rayna Denison
University of Nottingham