Kurosawa Doc

Mark Nornes amnornes
Mon Mar 4 16:47:07 EST 2002

 From Peter Grilli:

I'd like to announce, particularly to Kine-Japan list members resident in
the U.S., the national broadcast on PBS' "Great Performances" of a new
documentary on Kurosawa, on which I served as one of the co-producers.
This
is a major TV documentary, nearly two hours in length, and is a
co-production of the BBC, PBS (via the NY station, WNET), and NHK.  It
was
directed by Adam Low, well known on the BBC for his earlier
documentaries on
Noel Coward, Krzysztof Kieslowki, and various subjects relating to South
Africa.  It features interviews with Kurosawa, Ichikawa Kon and many
Japanese actors and collaborators of  Kurosawa's, Donald Richie, Stephen
Prince, Shuichi Kato, Tadao Sato, Clint Eastwood, James Coburn, among
others.  (I did nearly all the Japanese interviews.)  Extracts from
Kurosawa's "Something Like an Autobiography" are read by Paul Scofield,
and
other narration is by Sam Shephard.

The national broadcast over Great Performances will be on March 21, but
since every public-TV station broadcasts Great Performances on different
days and at different schedules, interested viewers should check local
listings for details.
There is also a "Kurosawa" page on the Great Performances website at
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/kurosawa/kurosawa.html

To help publicize this telecast, TERUYO NOGAMI -- Kurosawa's "right hand"
and production assistant for nearly fifty years -- has been invited to
the
U.S. for several special screenings.  Nogami is an extraordinary woman,
deeply knowledgeable not only about Kurosawa and his films (she worked on
all of them from Rashomon on) but about virtually everything in Japanese
cinema history.  She's also a very close friend, and it's been an honor
work closely with her on this and other projects.

For Kine-Japaners in the New England area, Nogami-san and I will be
presenting the new documentary and discussing it at the following
screenings:

Thursday, March 14	7:00pm  HARVARD FILM ARCHIVE (24 Quincy St.,
Cambridge,
MA) (Tel: 617-496-2222)
				For information:
http://harvardfilmarchive.org/calendars/02marapr/close.htm#kurosawa

Saturday, March 16	2:45pm  BOSTON MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS  (465 Huntington
Ave.,
Boston)  (Tel: 617-369-3770)
				For schedule and information:  http://www.mfa.org

Sunday, March 17	3:00pm  THE MUSIC HALL THEATER (Portsmouth, New
Hampshire)
(Tel: 603-224-4071)
				Sponsored by New Hampshire Humanities Council:
http://www.nhhc.org/winhr/spevent.htm#kurosawa