Japanese films at HKIFF

Stephen Cremin asianfilmlibrary
Thu Mar 7 17:49:21 EST 2002

PATLABOR and TREE OF PALME were both disappointing.  At least former is
watchable in context of policiers but PALME is a real stinker.  Messy
mixture of Miyazaki, Pinocchio, Lord of the Rings and Akira.  LILY
CHOU-CHOU is one of the best Japanese films of 2001 but doesn't really
take off until 90 minutes into the film so you have to be patient.  A2
should be fascinating, and probably even longer than Iwai's film.  I
guess ICHI THE KILLER is due out in HK soon so somebody's doing a favour
for Emperor Multimedia Group.  Funny to have an Osaka retro without any
Sakamoto Junji, etc.

Stephen