Cursing and bantering in English subtitles

mark schilling 0934611501 at jcom.home.ne.jp
Fri Oct 25 02:30:41 EDT 2002

My gut reaction to Asano-san's-san's query about "bad language" in subtitles
is -- the more colloquial the better. If a gangster is snarling "kono yaro"
at someone, in preparation to beating him within an inch of his life, then
have him say "you fuck" in the subtitle, not "you fool" or "you ass" or
other quaint equivalents that pop up all-too frequently in subtitles of
Japanese films.

There is such a thing as being too colloquial, though. If the subtitler
makes a yakuza sound like a character out of "The Sopranos," she is going to
take the audience out of the movie, as it wonders how this Japanese guy
learned to speak pure New Jersey.

But please, please, please, never use "cum." It's not a colloquialism; it's
sheer illiteracy.

Mark Schilling
schill at gol.com