Fwd: _Intersections_: Globalisation, History, Culture

Aaron Gerow gerow
Wed Aug 20 22:20:59 EDT 2003

---------------- Begin Forwarded Message ----------------
Intersections: Gender, History and Culture in the Asian Context
        Issue 9 - 'Globalisation, History, Culture'
                        and Call for Papers

Carolyn Brewer and Anne-Marie Medcalf are now pleased to announce that the
ninth issue of the online refereed journal _Intersections: Gender, History
and Culture in the Asian Context_ has been posted to the net at
http://wwwsshe.murdoch.edu.au/intersections

This issue focuses on the interaction, and relations of power between the
local and the global in the context of the writing of gendered history and
culture, and of the discourses and performance of sex and gender in Japan,
Thailand and Southeast Asia. We also make a special foray into the study
of
gender and language(see table of contents of papers and book and film
reviews section below).

We are also calling for papers for the tenth issue of _Intersections_ due
for publication in May 2004 (deadline 15 March 2004). Issue Ten will
mainly
focus on papers around the theme of 'Indonesia: Histories and Life
Stories'.
Besides academic papers, introduced edited interviews and relevant short
fiction pieces will be considered. We will, of course, also consider
papers
outside of the main theme for each issue. Please refer to the call for
papers page of the journal for submission details and further planned
issues, or contact the editors.

        Issue 9 - 'Globalisation, History, Culture'
Papers

Feminist History in Japan: National and International Perspectives
Andrea Germer

Performative Genders, Perverse Desires: A Bio-History of Thailand's
Same-Sex
and Transgender Cultures
Peter Jackson

Whose Debt?: Globalisation and White-facing in Asia
Patricia Goon and Allison Craven

Ore wa ore dakara ['Because I'm me']: A Study of Gender and Language in
the
Documentary Shinjuku Boys
Claire Maree

Film Review ? Guest Editor: Mick Broderick

Hayao Miyazaki, Director
_Spirited Away_ by Miyazaki
reviewed by Mick Broderick

Book Reviews

Ding Naifei
_Obscene Things: Sexual Politics_ in Jin Ping Mei
reviewed by Louise Edwards

Roland B. Tolentino
_National /Transnational Subject Formation, Media and Cultural Politics In
and On the Philippines_
reviewed by Mina Roces

Lynn M. Kwiatkowski
_Struggling with Development: The Politics of Hunger and Gender in the
Philippines_
reviewed by Jane Hutchison

Oscar Salemink (editor)
_Viet Nam's Cultural Diversity: Approaches to Preservation_
reviewed by Jocelyn Grace

Barbara Sato
_The New Japanese Woman: Modernity, Media, and Women in Interwar Japan_
reviewed by Sandra Wilson

James E. Roberson and Nobue Suzuki editors
_Men and Masculinities in Contemporary Japan: Dislocating the Salaryman
Doxa_
reviewed by Mark McLelland

Yuki Tanaka,
_Japan's Comfort Women, Sexual Slavery and Prostitution During World War
II
and the US Occupation_
reviewed by Narrelle Morris

Yoshio Sugimoto
_An Introduction to Japanese Society_ (Second Edition)
reviewed by James Boyd

Sharon Chalmers
_Emerging Lesbian Voices from Japan_
reviewed by James Welker

Contributors

Call For Papers
_Intersections: Gender, History & Culture in the Asian Context_
Editors: Carolyn Brewer and Anne-Marie Medcalf
http://wwwsshe.murdoch.edu.au/intersections

School of Asian Studies and Centre for Social Change and Social Equity
Murdoch University,
Murdoch, 6150, Western Australia
Tel.: (08) 9360 6251 and 9360 6232
Fax.: (08) 9360 6575
email: intrsect at murdoch.edu.au

--
Narrelle Morris
LLB, BAsianSt, BA (Hons)

Tutor / PhD Research Student
Japanese Studies
School of Asian Studies
Murdoch University <www.murdoch.edu.au>
Western Australia

nmorris at central.murdoch.edu.au
narrellemorris at yahoo.com

Page without requiring the use of LISTSERV commands by email.  Change of
address operations, digest requests and temporary mail suspensions can be
handles by using this page.

The link to this page is:  http://www2.h-net.msu.edu/lists/manage.cgi