Prewar Film Productions

Li Hoo Cheong lbhcli
Tue Aug 26 22:11:47 EDT 2003

I am looking for statistics of film productions in Japan before 1945,
but I do not have any prewar Kinema junpo publications or any film
compay histories (Toho's, Shochiku's,  etc.) that may include
such statistics.  I am particularly interested in the number of films
made from 1941 to 1945.

In his book on Japnese film history, Iwasaki Akira noted that 46 films
were made in 1944 and 22 films were made from January to August 1945.
An article by Hirai Tadao gave the figure of 61 for 1943.
Some postwar Kinejun books cited 21 films for 1945.  Hence:

1943:  61 films
1944:  46 films
1945:  21 or 22 films

Any help to verify or correct the above figures and supply the missing
figures for 1941 and 1942 will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

H. C. Li