The Fugu Plan

Lucy Lower lower
Wed Feb 26 13:57:00 EST 2003

>Dear All,
>
>Did anyone here watch a documentary broadcast on NHK in
>the summer of 2002 about
>"The Fugu Plan"?
>
>The Fugu Plan refers to a proposal by the Japanese
>military government during the WWII holocaust to establish
>a homeland for European Jews in Manchuria. The Japanese
>approached the Jewish communities of Japan and Shanghai
>pushing for that proposal, on the hope that the expanding
>Japanese empire would benefit from the distinguished
>industrial, financial and academic capabilities of the
>immigrants.
>
>I have a book detailing the story titled "The Fugu Plan:
>The Untold Story of the Japanese and the Jews During World
>War II
>" by Marvin Tokayer, a former rabbi of the Jewish
>community in Japan. But in the case of the documentary I
>have no idea what the name was; someone I know said he
>watched such a documentary on NHK last summer.
>
>Any information would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Cheers,
>Najib El-Khash

I haven't seen the documentary but recently read in an old (May
23,2002) New York Review of Books a review by Jonathan Mirsky of
Marcia Ristaino's book Port of Last Resort: The Diaspora of
Communities of Shanghai, where Mirsky treats in passing her
references and his own research on Jews in Harbin.

Lucy Lower
University of Hawaii