Isomura's new film and a Sōmai queries

Michael E. Kerpan kerpan
Fri Feb 28 20:27:43 EST 2003

Mark Schilling has a review of Itsumichi Isomura's new film, "Fune o
Oritara Kanojo no Shima" in the current online edition of Japan times.
(I looked for an AG review in Daily Yomiuri but didn't find one).  This
sounds like a very appealing film -- that has little or no chance of
getting Western distribution.

I wonder why it took Isomura such a long time (5 years) to follow up
his modestly successful (and thoroughly wonderful) "Ganbatte Ikimasshoi".
I would have thought that the earlier film would have done well enough
to allow him to make another film somewhat sooner.

On another topic -- I se that Sonji S?mai's "Ohikkoshi" is out on DVD
(unsubtitled, of course).  anyone seen the DVD?  As to the film
itself, is it followable by one with only rudimentary Japanese comprehension
skills?  Of films on DVD, what are the best S?mai picks?  finally, what's the
most appropriate romanization of SS's name: S?mai, Somai, Soomai or Soumai?

MEK