Ainu in Japanese film?

Peter Grilli grilli at us-japan.org
Wed Jun 11 18:59:30 EDT 2003

Michael,

A number of informative documentaries about Ainu civilization and Ainu
history and folklore were made during the 1960s (and perhaps earlier) by NHK
and various other producers.  No doubt, Markus and others can provide more
precise information about other specific film titles, but my "alzheimerish"
memory recalls the following:

"Chise a Kar" -- a film about the construction of Ainu homes and ritual
sites
"World of Yukar" -- a series of NHK documentaries about traditional Ainu
myths and rituals, including the "iyomande" bear-god ceremonies
"Gods of the Ainu" -- a film about Ainu religious rituals and domestic
household ceremonies

I'm sure there are other films --- but, sorry, I don't remember their
titles.

Peter Grilli

Peter M. Grilli
President, Japan Society of Boston