sake in films

Delorese Harrington dharring at mail.ucf.edu
Wed Jun 18 08:49:26 EDT 2003

The Funeral by Juzo Itami.  Thinking about quite a few of Itami's films
have sake drinking in it.  Suppo no Onna comes to mind.

Kay Harrington

>>> chimaykaren at yahoo.com 06/17/03 06:57PM >>>
This is a bit of an esoteric question...
Can anybody think of images of sake drinking in
Japanese film (or Japanese tv for that matter) and how
the prevalence of drinking sake (as compared with say
whiskey and beer) has changed/declined in film
representation over the years...I guess what I'm after
here is how film/tv media has mirrored the decline of
this cultural symbol. Also, are there any outstanding
scenes of drinking sake that come to mind in well
known films?

Thanks,
Karen