Japanese CNC?

mark schilling 0934611501 at jcom.home.ne.jp
Mon Jun 30 13:21:58 EDT 2003

Peter Larson raised an interesting question about the "need for a national
cinema," citing the Germans as folks who have seemingly done quite well
without one.

Japanese cinema is objectively far from dead, but subjectively -- it depends
on who you talk to, doesn't it? Many middle-aged and elderly types in the
Japanese film business will tell you that the industry today is in fatal
decline, while harking back to the films of their youth as a vanished ideal.
"Yakuza movies ended with me," Sugawara Bunta told me in an interview for my
book -- and how could I contradict him?

This "apres moi le deluge" mindset is common throughout Japanese society,
but especially so in the movie business. Thus the repeated attempts by
studio graybeards to "revive Japanese films" by bringing back faded stars,
directors and even genres (ex., the ninkyo eiga), often with results at the
box office that reinforce the prophets of doom. "Spy Sorge" is the latest
exhibit A.

So are Japanese movies dead? Yes, if you think the last "real" ones were
made back when Kurosawa Akira's hair was still black.

Mark Schilling
schill at gol.com