The 10 Western films that have affected Japan the most.

John Dougill dougill at mbox.kyoto-inet.or.jp
Tue Mar 11 16:22:28 EST 2003

Interesting research topic...  Purely on an anecdotal level, I remember one
of my students telling me how much Shane made an impression on him as a
youth in terms of the individual hero...  I guess High Noon too would stand
out in terms of individualism, though I guess you would have to wade through
contemporary reviews and articles in Japanese to get something concrete...
I would guess too that there were some interesting cultural comparisons made
about the Western remakes of The Seven Samurai and Yojimbo...