Ring: Meaning of Title

Silvia Groniewicz LinaInverse at blackbox.net
Thu Mar 13 14:42:36 EST 2003

Hello,

I'm not sure if someone mentioned it already since I only get the digests,
but here I go.

The title seems to have a different meaning for the original and the
remake. For the original movie I understood it to be the sound that a
telephone makes and not a piece of jewelery. The connection to the content
would be the telephone that *rings* to let you know that you have only 7
more days to live.

In the remake it's explained in a different way. If you did not see the
movie this may contain spoilers for you, so beware.

The remake states that before you die you see *the ring*. In fact that's
the last thing the girl in the well saw before she dies. It's the lid
closing over the well with the sun behind it, giving the image of a ring of
light. As the victims of the video tape get closer to death they also see
this ring of light without knowing what it's about though.

As I see it both movies have a connection between title and content. The
remake is trying much harder to explain it though, while the original just
leaves it like it is.

Silvia