information request

Sebastian Blanco sqb.geo
Wed Mar 12 01:08:28 EST 2003

Hello. I'm a graduate student at the University of
Hawaii and am going to write a short paper on the
differences between the videos/DVD covers of Studio
Ghibli films within Japan and outside of Japan. I
thought this group would be perfect to ask for more
information on this topic. I'm interested in why do
they change the covers? Who decides which images go on
each one? Most importantly, I'd like to understand
what the Japanese covers are "selling" compared to the
the non-Japanese releases. I think I have a good idea
of the Japanese images (Miyazaki's unique shoujo
variation and the ubiquitous kawaii culture), but I'm
always looking for more ideas. Thank you,
Sebastian Blanco