New Ozu DVDs

david alston davidals
Thu May 29 01:37:42 EDT 2003

1.  Criterion has announced DVD reissues for late 2003/early 2004 for
'Floating Weeds,' 'Tokyo Story' and 'Early Summer.'  The Floating Weeds DVD
will also include 'Story From Floating Weeds' and Roger Ebert commentary.
Thus far I've heard nothing about additional material on the other two.  The
timing should coincide with the Ozu centennial retrospective which will
begin touring this fall (I've been searching for links and additional info
on this, but no luck so far).  Criterion has said these releases will be
definitely followed by others.

2.  Jon Mulvaney, at Criterion also commented that  "We hope to release a
Mizoguchi title or two in 2003/4, but nothing is definite at the moment."
Criterion did release 'Life Of Oharu,' 'Ugetsu,' 'Sansho The Bailiff' and
'Osaka Elegy' on Laserdisc, and retains DVD rights, along with four others.

3.  Asian DVD Guide (www.asiandvdguide.com) and Panorama Entertainment
(www.panorama.com.hk) list a number of other recent Japanese DVD reissues.
No Ozu yet, but a random selection of Kinoshita Keisuke, Teshigahara
Hiroshi, Oshima Nagisa & Imamura Shohei titles appear, listed as Region-free
DVDs with English and Chinese subtitles.

I'd be very interested to know whether or not there are English subtitles on
the Ozu box sets.

David