Kitano at Toronto

Alex.Zahlten at gmx.de Alex.Zahlten at gmx.de
Thu Sep 11 07:56:07 EDT 2003

I obviously agree on the carnevalesque nature of ZATOICHI- which is exactly
why I find it much more ambiguous than SHARA. However I don`t agree that it
presents a more radical vision than what Kawase offers in SHARA, actually I'm
not sure I would call what Kawase offers a "vision" at all; I find it too
bafflingly free-floating as a portrayal of a dreamed up Japan...
When drawing comparisons between these two films, I find it above all
interesting how they depart from earlier stances of their directors (actually, it
occurs to me only now how strangely similar these two might be, regarding
their quite removed positions from the rest of the Japanese film industry, and
the way they are percieved overseas); and while these switches seem to be
traceable to more biographical/personal factors, I still wonder if there is
broader factor working into this as well...

Alex Zahlten

alex at nipponconnection.de