Ozu question + New Ozu Book

Bill Thompson siswt
Fri Sep 5 17:05:55 EDT 2003

KineJapan,

Thanks for the information, Markus.  A screening of Kagami no
Onnatachi, the new Yoshida film that Markus mentions below,
is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, Nov. 4th,
at the Japan Society in New York (1st Ave and 47th St).  Yoshida
should introduce the film there.  Look for an English
language title something like "Women in the Mirrors".
Despite their reputations, Yoshida's films are rarely shown,
and I haven't heard of any such screenings in connection
with this event.

The listing for the entire Ozu retrospective is now online at:

http://filmlinc.com/nyff/ozu.htm

I understand that the PFA will also be presenting this series
starting in November.

Enjoy.

Bill Thompson

Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 13:30:40 -0400
Sender: owner-KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
From: Mark Nornes <amnornes at umich.edu>
To: KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Subject: Re: Ozu question + New Ozu Book

There are some other events connected to the Ozu screenings in New
York. I don't have the details, and perhaps they aren't yet set in
stone. But Yoshida Kiju and Okada Mariko are going to be participating
in a seminar on Ozu at the New York Film Festival and I believe they
are also going to at screenings of their new film, Kagami no onnatachi,
at other venues like the Japan Society and NYU or Columbia.

For those of you in the midwest, you might consider the shorter trip to
Michigan. I'm bringing them to Ann Arbor from November 6 to 8. They
will be screening their film on Friday, and participating in a small
Ozu symposium on Saturday afternoon.

Yoshida will also be at a book signing party on Thursday afternoon. The
Center for Japanese Studies is publishing his book on Ozu, as
translated by Daisuke Miyao and Kyoko Hirano. It's a great book.
Everyone buy it!

I'll send further details on their appearances as time draws near.

Markus

On Monday, August 25, 2003, at 11:12  AM, Bill Thompson wrote:

> Thanks for all the additional information following
> my Ozu posting.  Does Markus or anyone else have more
> information on the Ozu book that can be shared?

The book is Yoshida Kiju's award winning book Ozu Yasujiro no Han-Eiga.
The English title will be Ozu's Anti-Cinema. The translators are
Daisuke Miyao (an NYU graduate that is currently at Columbia on a
postdoc) and Kyoko Hirano of the Japan Society.  The press is the
Center for Japanese Studies at Michigan, and we expect the book to be
out by early November, earlier if possible in order to arrive in time
for New York Film Festival's symposium.

This is a fascinating book. Yoshida was, of course, one of the key New
Wave directors that was critical of Ozu back in the 1960s. This book
constitutes his reevaluation of the older director. It is deeply
personal, and written in a provocative, essayistic style. Yoshida has
really looked at these films carefully, and there is a lot to learn
from him.

I might also  add that this is the first film book published by
Michigan. Everybody buy it, because if sales are attractive you can
expect to see more books on Japanese film coming from here. In fact,
there is one more great book nearing its final stages: Shadows on the
Screen: Stories and Essays by Tanizaki Jun'ichiro on Cinema and
"Oriental" Aesthetics, translated and with introduction and
commentaries by Thomas LaMarre.

Keep your collective eyes out!

Markus