Kitano at Toronto

Alex.Zahlten@gmx.de Alex.Zahlten
Fri Sep 12 03:48:53 EDT 2003

> Not having seen the film, I'd be curious to hear someone flesh out what
>
> they mean by Kawase's treatment of the rural. Alex? Aaron?

I actually don`t think SHARA is concerned with the rural at all... The
parallels I see in the changes of stance in ZATOICHI and SHARA lie in the concern
with (and "positive" promulgation of) community (the rural is only of some
concern in ZATOICHI). To me, Kawase seems to have moved what she before deemed
a  disappearing spirit into the city and given it a rebirth there (literally,
as with the birth scene at the end of the film); this is just a thought, but
she seemed to move into an ever more cyclic understanding, with
disappearance at the end, here I thoroughly agree with Aaron, being transcended.

This said, SHARA did leave me, as I mentioned before, a bit baffled. Beyond
her more formal explorations, I could not at all see what she is trying to
express with this twist in her thematic explorations... I would be quite
interested in what others have to say on the implications of SHARA, what impression
it made-

Alex Zahlten

alex at nipponconnection.de

2. GMX ProMail - Platz 2 und Preis-Qualit?tssieger!