Toei hires again

Tom Mes china_crisis
Tue Sep 2 04:59:47 EDT 2003

Interesting news. I wonder what kind of impact this will have on the
industry, both in terms of the other studios and in terms of the future of
independent cinema. Will young filmmakers be more inclined to skip the
hassles of independent filmmaking and choose to make movies at Toei on a
salary instead? Perhaps one day in the future, researchers and others will
be able to use this event as a convenient marker for the 'resurgence of the
studios' or 'the end of the independents'. Particularly since it comes not
so long after the demise of Suncent, the company that symbolised Japanese
independent cinema for many.

I'm just philosophising here, but this could be a potential 'turning point'.

Tom

Midnight Eye
http://www.midnighteye.com