Gaijin perspective from malaysia!

Joseph Murphy urj7 at nersp.nerdc.ufl.edu
Sat Apr 3 23:13:43 EST 2004

I think the main problem is that it's a disappointment as a Sophia
Coppola film. Her handling of 1970's suburbia and the weird stresses
of a catholic family in the U.S. in Virgin Suicides were so on
target, so finely observed, and so generous, that there was some hope
she would bring the same sensitivity to observing the context of
Japan.  Instead she served up a lot of broad gags that strike people
who know the context as inane.  It's a disappointment that she did
not see fit to bring the same quality of observation to Lost In
Translation.  And I think it's already been noted on this list that
the movie received an extremely limited opening in Japan for a major
Hollywood film.
J. Murphy

--

Univ. of Florida