Music on Lost in Trans...

=%iso-8859-1?q?naguib=5Frazak?= naguib_razak at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 10 03:09:38 EDT 2004

M Arnold wrote ....

> In Lost in Translation, perhaps the "reality" isn't
> fancy Shinjuku hotel life but rather nostalgia for
> the American 1980s--Bill Murray, MTV generation "new

> wave" rock bands (Roxy Music, Jesus and Mary Chain,
> My Bloody Valentine), and stereotypes about Bubble-
> era Japan.

Well, you've made some very interesting points with
regards to the 'positioning' of Ms. Coppola's film,
and the narrow/specific cultural viewpoint through
which she accesses her themes. Perhaps a few of us
have been 'reading' it wrong, with all our own
preoccupation with 'interpretations of Japanese
reality'.

I myself thought it was particularly curious that the
soundtrack was mostly made up of music that seem (at
least to my limited musical knowledge) to have little
relevance with Japan, even though I believe their
musical equivalence do exist in the japanese
commercial/indie pop/rock scene. i mean i half
expected to hear Shonen Knife or Tommy February 6 or
Glay or sumthing.

what did others think of the choice of songs in the
film?

 --- M Arnold <ma_iku at hotmail.com> wrote: > Apo

logies in advance for a long message. . .