Kitano

Mitch Cullin fpunk
Sun Apr 11 03:27:21 EDT 2004

--- Mark Mays <tetsuwan at comcast.net> wrote:
> > I do agree that "Zatochi" is a fun, artful return
> > to form.
>
> When did he careen away from form?

I might be mistaken, but I believe there was a general
feeling that "Dolls", while beautiful to look at, was
not up to snuff--unless form is viewed purely in
technical/visual terms; then, no, he hasn't careened
away from form.  Even so, I found "Kikujiro" and
"Brother" to be weak compared to some of his earlier
films--and "Hana Bi" as well, although apparently I'm
a bit alone in my feelings about it.  I should add
that I was so ready to dislike "Dolls" from all that
I'd read about it that I found myself rather liking it
(wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting, I guess).

Anyway, Mark, care to elaborate on your thoughts about
Kitano's work?  Form?  I'd be very curious to get your
take.

Mitch

=====
Most recent propaganda (updated when I remember):
http://www.smart.co.uk/dreams/tidecull.htm
http://publishersweekly.reviewsnews.com/index.asp?layout=articleArchive&articleId=CA70934&display=searchResults&stt=001
http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/2000-11-10/books_set2.html
http://partners.nytimes.com/books/00/09/24/reviews/000924.24lewist.html
http://www.thepermanentpress.com/bookdisp.ihtml?id=303
http://www.fetchbook.info/Mitch_Cullin.html
http://www.corpse.org/issue_8/reviews/phelan.htm
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/020613/242/d11q6.html
http://generationrice.com/index.phtml?talk=peterichang_1
http://www.minsky.com/branches.htm

"As the movie industry becomes more like the merchandising industry, the book business becomes more like the movie industry.  There's more pressure.  I think it's very difficult to be a young writer today.  I fear that young writers, after one or two books, will disappear the way young film directors do."  --Don DeLillo